October 15, 2008

What do you want to be when you're older

We just had Rooster's SEOP conference.  I have no clue what that stands for but it was a meeting with myself, Rooster and his counselor.  Before I got there Rooster had filled out a paper about what he liked, what he thought about school, and what he wanted to be when he grew up.

He has wanted to be a doctor since he was little.  Actually, up until about age 6 he wanted to be a doctor, a Backstreet Boy and a police officer.  Now he is down to one job.

I always thought (still think) he would be an amazing business owner/entrepreneur.  He can turn anything into a money making op.  But I was so proud to sit and listen to him talk about his plans to be a surgeon or an anesthesiologist.  On the other hand my heart was breaking just a bit, knowing how difficult it will be for him getting through college and med school with ADHD.  It truly is almost a full time job for me to track his assignments, follow up to make sure they get turned it, remind him of tests etc.  Our big goal for this year is getting him to learn more responsiblity and I have to say he is doing an amazing job but we still have a ways to go.  We have been so lucky to have great administration at Rooster's school and the psychologist gave me some of the best advice I've ever gotten.  Dealing with ADHD is not a race it's a marathon.  So we continue to celebrate the small and big steps we make knowing that we are working towards the finish line of our marathon.

1 comments:

Lisa October 18, 2008 at 7:11 AM  

I think it is wonderful that you have such great support. I really like that comment about it not being a race but a marathon. Great post!

Hillbilly Heart