October 6, 2008

Homework

As I write this I'm sitting with Tater doing his homework. Yet again I am amazed at the amount of homework he gets. We've been working for about an hour and he still has one more assignment then reading for 20 minutes. He is only in the 2nd grade - 1 hr - 1 1/2 hours of homework is too much. My 7th grader does maybe 2 hours a week of homework and is getting a 3.1 GPA. What's up with the elementary schools?

I have always been a supporter of homework - I don't think there is enough time or resources during the day for kids to learn everything they need to. But I also believe all things in moderation.

Recently, there was an article in our local paper citing research that homework does not benefit a student until the junior high level. One local school has actually done away with homework this year. It will be interesting to see how their test scores compare to the schools where kids do homework 1-2 hours a night.

Meanwhile, we'll keep plugging away and hope for the best.

3 comments:

Lyla October 7, 2008 at 8:53 AM  

Ugh! I hate homework too, but I guess it's a necessary evil. Our kids are almost the same age - mine are 12 and 9 - and sometimes the 9 year old has more homework than the 12 year old....

http://www.chattychica.com
http://www.five-oclock-somewhere

Lisa H October 7, 2008 at 2:18 PM  

I can totally relate! I have twins in the 3rd grade and doing all that homework is like pulling teeth some days.

Unknown October 8, 2008 at 8:20 AM  

My 12 year old would be loving life if she has no homework. She dreads at daily, and honestly so do we.