October 21, 2008

Grandma

My Grandma was recently hospitialized for a week then in a rehab center for a week.  She is home now but has a nurse, occupational therapist, physical therapist and an aide coming in several times a week.  She has always been so certain that she wants to stay in her home but since the rehab center she has been talking about moving into an assisted living facility.

On one hand I would be so happy to see her move into a center.  I think it would be good for her to be around so many other people and to have activites so readily available.  It would also give my Mom a much needed break.  My Mom goes to my Grandmas at the first of the week and stays there until the weekend.

On the other hand it's so difficult to watch my Grandma get to the point where she thinks she may need to move out of her home. 

Man, it's hard to watch grandparents and parents get older.

5 comments:

DeAnna October 22, 2008 at 2:50 AM  

I hope everything works out. I can relate to your feelings. Pretty much every night at work, I work with these wonderful folks who have gotten to the point where they really need round the clock help and it is just kinda heartbreaking to many of them. I don't like seeing my parents getting older either.

Anonymous,  October 22, 2008 at 5:16 PM  

I can sympathize with you.

It is hard to see someone you love encounter the difficulties of growing older.

Confessions of a Baltimore Housewife

Unknown October 25, 2008 at 10:02 PM  

I still have all four of my grandparents which has been wonderful for my girls t have around them, but they are all starting to have werious health problems. I understand completely and don't enjoy them getting older at all.

The Power of Housewife Word of Mouth

Anonymous,  October 26, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

That's a horrible thing to have to go through, but it's a lot easier than to have no choice, but to put her there. It's sad yes, but she may enjoy being around friends her age and she can always come home if she changes her mind.

Emily
Mama and Hustler???

Totally TV!

Barefooted Me

Digital Photography Today

Great MOMS Think Alike

For the Love of GOSSIP

Lyla October 27, 2008 at 4:49 PM  

It's such a hard decision for older folks to make. At least right now it's still your grandmother's decision and no one is making the decision for her.

My Father In Law was in an assisted living facility for almost four years and he loved it after the initial shock - he wanted to stay in his home but that wasn't an option. We lived close by and there were times when we offered to pick him up and bring him to our house for a football game or something and he'd say no, he wanted to stay "home" to play Bingo LOL!

Lyla
Chatty Chica
It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere
Mom to Tweens