November 23, 2008

My Review - Twilight Movie

Warning - Possible Spoilers!!!
First let me say that I never like a movie as much as the book but in the case of Twilight I really didn't like it as much as the movie. 

I went to the midnight showing with a group of friends. I envisioned all of us clapping and cheering when the movie ended. Instead, we found dead silence. Apparently, I wasn't the only one not impressed.  The film is raking in the money though, Wikepedia says the film made over $35 million its opening day!

I think the movie did a horrible job of portraying the intensity of the relationship with Bella and Edward.  A friend of mine said she didn't know what else they could do since the movie was already over 2 hours.  A perfect example would have been to make the waitress in the restaurant as pretty as she was described in the book.  In the movie, she was a bit scary so of course Edward wouldn't pay attention to her. In the book, Bella said she was pretty and Edward didn't even pay attention to her.

The movie moved incredibly fast and left out a lot of key scenes from the book. It also had some things added that confused me.  I think one of the best parts of the book is when Edward and Bella are in the meadow and Bella is fascinated by Edward's skin in the sun. In the movie, the first shot of Edward in the sun looks like he is sweating not shimmering. The rest of the time in the meadow is shown in short clips with both of them just laying in the meadow.

I thought the acting was horrible! With the exception of Cam Gigandet who played James. His character does have a pretty intense role in the movie but I thought he was fantastic.  For the most part all of the Cullen's walked around with crazy looking, wild eyes.  The way the other high school kids talked was way more than I could handle.

My biggest complaint about the movie is that I never really connected with any of the characters in the movie.

My break down on the characters; (you can check out their bios at IMDB)
Bella: I think she is a doll.  Really cute and a good Bella. Not the best actor, especially when she is thrashing around after James bit her.

Edward: Didn't like him at all in the first part of the movie. He had really weird facial expressions and came across kind of dorky (technical word, I guess). But by the end of the show I really liked him. He was really cute with Bella.

Jacob: I liked him. He had a real innocence about him. Although I thought it sucked that they cut out the entire beach scene where he tells Bella about the history of the vampires and werewolves.Oops totally forgot that it was there just shorter than in the book.

Charlie Swan: Not much there. My heart broke for him when Bella was leaving.

Alice Cullen: Not in the movie much, which is sad because her and Bella seem to be good friends in the book.

Jasper Cullen: All I can say is WOW! He was a train wreck that I couldn't stop watching. He looked like he should have been locked up somewhere instead of going to a high school.

Rosalie: Not a bad actor but a REALLY bad wig!

Emmett Cullen: Was he in the movie? Oh yeah, I saw him riding in the back of a jeep a couple of times.

Dr. Cullen: I thought he was an ok actor but my hell he looked horrible! His hair was bleached way too much and his skin looked plastic.

Esme Cullen: I'm not sure that she said over 10 words in the whole movie.

James: Awesome!

Laurent: Really not in the movie much - loved his red eyes

Jessica, Mike, Eric, Angela, and Billy Black: None of them had much to in the film. They really let the relationship between Mike and Bella slide and Jessica never shows the jealousy of Bella and Edward's relationship.

4 comments:

Unknown November 24, 2008 at 3:59 AM  

I read the whole series and didn't watch the movie yet. Movies rarely live up to the book. I can't believe they left out the beach scene! It's so pivotal to the whole series.

Anonymous,  November 25, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

I am usually the same way about movies. However, I have yet to read these books (heard they are GREAT though) What I usually wonder when I'm watching a movie and I've previously read the book is how in the world people are following this. They leave so much out! Glad you posted this review I think I'll stick with the books!

Emily
Mama and Hustler???
Great MOMS Think Alike
The Photographer In Me
Writer Wannabe
There's A Geek In Every Girl
Bye Bye Fat Girl... Hello Hottie

DeAnna November 25, 2008 at 7:35 PM  

I didn't love the movie but I think I liked it better than you did :) I seem to remember that the movie did contain the beach scene with Bella and Jacob (When he tells her "its just a story, Bella")it was just shorter than in the book.

Mindy November 25, 2008 at 9:46 PM  

DeAnna: You are right! I totally forgot about it. I remember it throwing me off because she met Jacob at her house for the first time - Gotta go edit my post.