January 20, 2009

Feeling Good!

Until today, it really didn't sink in what a momentous event in history we were going through. Honestly, I didn't think that we would see an African American President so early in my lifetime. Or see a woman come so close to winning the nomination.

Growing up a white girl with inter-racial parents, in a fairly reserved community, there were many times in my life that I was shunned by whites and blacks as well. I had a step-dad, who stepped in and became the father that my dad never was and it was difficult for me to understand why the color of his skin should make a difference or why the color of my skin should make the same difference to others.

Watching the inauguration proceedings today gave me so much hope that my children will grow up in a different world than I did.  Don't get me wrong, I'm the person I am today because of my childhood and I am grateful for every minute of it. My children have grown up never identifying with race, instead they see people for what kind of a person they are and for that I am forever grateful.

I've been conscious of not discussing my political views here because I feel they are very personal. Quite frankly I live by the rule that you should never discuss politics unless your up for a heated argument. Race and politics aside, I feel so much hope and promise when I listen to Barack O'bama speak. Hope that we can live in a world with more peace than we have today. Hope that my children have a promising future, filled with tolerance and love. Hope that the decline we are seeing in so many aspects of American can be reversed.

I know so many people are sick of hearing the word "Hope" but without hope where would we be?

0 comments: