March 4, 2009

Reality Check

Well, I got a big slap in the face by reality when Tater brought home his spelling test.  We have an ongoing incentive (read bribe) for Tater. If he gets 100% on his spelling test he can pick any activity he wants to do over the weekend.  He's only reached the goal once so I thought we needing to give him another smaller incentive (read bribe again).

For his last test, I told him if he got all of the first part of the test right, I would take him to get an ice cream.  I was so excited when I picked him up to find out that he earned an ice cream.  That is until I looked at a copy of his spelling test and got the news!

There was a note from his teacher that he was "peeking at another paper" while taking the test. Initially, my heart dropped I was so disappointed.  Then I was completely shocked - wondering how he ever thought to do it.  Apparently other kids are doing the same thing and he thought he would follow along. The saddest part is I really think he would have been able to do it without cheating.

Honestly, I don't think he'll ever do it again (at least I hope not).  I told Twitch that I thought Rooster had prepared us for anything and then Tater threw me a curve ball that I never expected!

It got me thinking though. I wonder if I put too much pressure on my boys to succeed at a level I think is acceptable. Or maybe he just really wanted an ice cream cone.



free hotel stay

1 comments:

Kelly March 5, 2009 at 7:26 AM  

oh, that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when you read a note like that...ugh...right there with you sister!